I scoured the blog fully expecting to find New Year's resolutions for 2016, but came up empty. That must explain why it was such an aimless 12 months.
I won't make that mistake again.
Here are my resolutions for 2017:
- To write more and better;
- To lose 5kg;
- To be a better uncle, brother, and son;
- To get to the bottom of, and explore possible solutions to, the seemingly terminal fragility of centrist politics;
- To finally get to Latin America, maybe India, too;
- To go on a date for the first time in five years;
- Not to bore said date senseless with the kind of solipsistic diatribe that come with long periods of excessive solitude;
- To try and stick around NZ for more than ten minutes;
- To accept periods of depression as part of the fabric of my life, without letting them overwhelm me;
- To draft a TV mini-series treatment based on the life story of Charles Quin, our fascinating first NZ ancestor;
- To handle rejection of TV mini-series idea calmly and without allowing it to reinforce a deeply ingrained sense of worthlessness;
- To see Hamilton: The Musical again — and again.
- To remain sober, and find a way to volunteer to help recovering addicts.